Regardless of cerebral palsy type, reading with your child is an opportunity to share in and guide their development. Occupational therapists offer specific tools, strategies, and exercises for reading, which may also improve dexterity, speech-language skills, and provide parents with additional insights into their child’s needs.View Article
Cerebral Palsy Resources and Support
- About Kids Health – Cerebral Palsy
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke NINDS Cerebral Palsy Information Page
- Scope UK – Cerebral Palsy Overview
- WebMD – Cerebral Palsy – Topic Overview
- BC Cerebral Palsy Association
- Alberta Cerebral Palsy Association
- Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy
- Quebec Cerebral Palsy Association (also in French)
- Halifax Regional Cerebral Palsy Association
- The Cerebral Palsy Support Foundation
- United Cerebral Palsy (USA)
“Living with Cerebral Palsy” – Books, Educational Materials and Entertaining Videos
- Children with Cerebral Palsy: A Parent’s Guide – an essential resource book for parents of children with CP, edited by Elaine Geralis.
- Children’s Books About Cerebral Palsy – suggested reading compiled by the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre in Australia.
- Parentbooks – catalogue of parenting books about cerebral palsy and fiction books featuring protagonists with cerebral palsy.
- Josh Blue, a stand-up comedian with cerebral palsy and winner of Last Comic Standing. See his acts on YouTube and check out his personal website.
- Maysoon Zayid, a comedian and advocate for people with disabilities. See her TED Talk about life with cerebral palsy.